Top 10 Tips to Slow Down
With social media today, it's never been easier to stay connected with someone on the other side of the world. Yet, it's so easy to feel disconnected to the people closest to us.
We have tools meant to simplify and streamline our tasks to help us accomplish things more quickly, yet our to-do lists have never been longer.
Life is short, and time is precious. Now is the time to start implementing practices to actively slow down your body, mind, and life. Today, I'm sharing my top 10 tips to help you do just that - slow down.
1. TAKE THE TIME TO PRIORITIZE DAILY OBJECTIVES. By focusing on the most important tasks to get done, we eliminate the hustle and stress of trying to accomplish everything at once.
2. CUT PERSONAL INTERNET USE BY HALF. Technology has become a major element in most of our lives. Social networking, email, and web surfing can occasionally cause our minds to lose focus and wander through hundreds of topics, thoughts, and ideas. Try to use half your designated Internet time to explore new hobbies, exercise, or meditate.
3. ENJOY NATURE. When time permits – take a five to 10 minute break to step outside and breathe in some fresh air. Disconnect from the rest of the world and concentrate on the beauty of nature.
4. EAT SLOWER. A lot of us tend to speed through meals – missing the chance to appreciate different textures and flavors. Start to chew foods slower and distinguish new tastes, aromas, and consistencies.
5. CONNECT WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS. We all try to make a considerable amount of time to spend with close friends and family. We discuss life events and exchange stories – but how often do we catch up while truly listening and connecting? Put away the cell phones and steer clear of noisy environments. Connect on a deeper level.
6. MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF. When did you last spend valuable time with yourself? Take a night to find a new book, watch a favorite movie, try yoga, meditate, or cook a new recipe.
7. GIVE YOURSELF MORE TIME. Some of us like to stick to a tight schedule and plan all our daily events. Next time you’re jotting down new tasks in your planner, factor in a few extra minutes when estimating how long things will take. This will help you not rush through daily tasks.
8. TAKE THE SCENIC ROUTE. Next time you’re driving a somewhat long distance – take the scenic route. Driving through open fields can be very relaxing.
9. SIT FOR A MOMENT WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED WHEN YOU START YOUR COMPUTER. Even just a few moments of meditation can set the tone for the rest of your day. Try to empty your mind and take deep breaths before jumping into your day’s tasks.
10. REMEMBER YOUR GOALS AND ASPIRATIONS. Each morning when you wake up, take a few moments to think about your life goals and aspirations. Recall the milestones you’ve already made in your life, and your drive to achieve new ones. Try doing this for about five minutes before getting out of bed to start your day.
Even if you implement just a single one of these tips, I promise your life will be changed for the better. Taking time to slow down, relax, and recharge is a necessary element of our lives, one we cannot overlook.